Elizabeth Township lies between the shores of the Youghiogheny and Monongahela Rivers, encompassing nearly twenty-three square miles in the southeastern section of Allegheny County. Elizabeth Township was formed from part of Rostraver Township and was originally part of the three counties of Bedford, Westmoreland, and Allegheny. This area was included in the large tract of land that was granted to the Penn family by the King of England.
In 1788 Allegheny County was formed and Elizabeth Township, named in honor of Elizabeth Bayard, wife of the founder of Elizabeth Village, was incorporated as one of its original Townships. Villages in Elizabeth Township were Boston, Greenock, Buena Vista, Industry, and Blythedale. Later the areas of Blaine Hill, Mt. Vernon, Victory, and Central were created.
Elizabeth Township is home to the Youghiogheny River Trail. A trail for all seasons follows the scenic Youghiogheny River along the former Pittsburgh and Lake Erie (P&LE) Railroad. The trail’s gentle grade, smooth surface, isolation from motorized traffic, and inherently scenic landscape offers people of all ages and levels of physical ability magnificent settings where they can safely walk, jog, cross country ski, or bicycle. The main access areas of Boston Park, Buena Vista, and Blythedale provide parking, benches, toilets, drinking water, bike racks, visitor information, picnic pavilions and security lighting. River access and historic interpretation signs are provided at key points along the trail. For more information and maps, please visit: www.atatrail.org
Elizabeth Township Municipal Building
522 Rock Run Road
Elizabeth, PA 15037